Strict guidelines must be followed to protect the recipient of the cord blood.
Please ensure that you have reviewed the following acceptance criteria prior to submitting a registration packet:
You will be required to complete a ‘Health and Risk Questionnaire’ once you have submitted your application.
Both Mother and Father must complete all forms. Privacy is protected.
The following considerations will be reviewed:
- Birth mothers must be > 18 years of age
- Must register before the 34th week of pregnancy
- Must deliver after 34 weeks gestation
- Singleton birth – no twins/ triplets can be accepted
Birth mothers must not:
- be a known carrier of genetic diseases or disorders
- have tested positive for HIV or be a Hepatitis B or C carrier
- have engaged in non-medicinal drug use
- have lived in UK or France between 1980—1996
- used an ovum/sperm donor, adoption, or surrogacy for this child’s conception or birth
- had a tattoo, or piercing in last 12 months
- had treatment for sexually transmissible disease in last 12 months
Mother must deliver at one of the participating hospitals*:
|Humber River Hospital- Wilson Site|
|North York General Hospital|
|Southlake Regional Health Centre|
|St. Joseph’s Health Centre – Toronto|
|St. Michael’s Hospital – Toronto|
|William Osler Health Centre Etobicoke General Site|
|Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital – Mackenzie Health|
|Markham Stouffville Hospital|
|Dr Kalaichandran’s (Rouge Valley Centenary)|
|Michael Garron Hospital|
Parents do not pay any fees for their participation in the public bank program.
- Parents relinquish all ownership and rights to the cord blood.
- Not all donated cord blood samples will be stored. Usually less than 20% are stored for medical use; all others are directed toward scientific research projects. (World-wide statistics)
- Only samples with a high potential for being released for medical treatment are stored. These include samples with high numbers of cells, no bacterial or viral infection, and no labeling errors.
- Parents must understand that in most cases the cord blood will not be available to them in the future.
- Parents cannot choose to donate and store privately for one birth. There is only enough cord blood to do one or the other.
If parents are not eligible for the program, they may want to investigate the other cord blood banking options. Click Here
* Hospitals serviced by our bedside pickup service
**All other locations: Shipping costs prohibit us from accepting samples from other locations at this time. Our valuable charitable funds will be focused on collecting and processing samples rather than paying courier costs.