Annual Golf Classic
Victoria Angel’s annual golf tournament on August 22, 2013 was a resounding success!
We are thrilled to announce that through the incredible support of our sponsors, donors and golfers, and the excellent participation in the auctions and raffle
we netted over $80,000.
These funds will allow us to provide
more than a 1,000 additional cord blood collection kits to parents.
It is simple – the more stem cells that are stored, the greater the capacity to find a match and save a life! With your support we can provide hope and help to patients in Canada and around the world!
The wet weather and thunderstorms didn’t put a damper on the beauty of the Coppinwood Golf Course. Some highlights are featured in the photos below!
- Our Master of Ceremonies for the evening, Kathryn Humphreys, Sports Anchor & Reporter, City TV, used her brilliant wit and humour to keep the evening moving and the crowd laughing.
- Our celebrity guest of honour, Ed “Too Tall” Jones, joined us for the entire day and evening. Ed was the first Defensive End to go ‘number one’ in the NFL draft then played 15 years as a Dallas Cowboy. He chronicled his experiences with the Cowboys as well as his stint as a professional boxer. During an intimate question & answer chat with the dinner audience, you could have heard a pin drop as he spoke. Truly, Ed is one of sport’s great athletes …. and gentlemen. What an experience! See him on the popular Geico commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW4jsfqx7fE
- Special guests, 7 year old Alysha, her sister, Amy and mother, Karen Dykstra, attended our event. They spoke about Alysha’s experience as a leukemia survivor. Alysha is alive today because her doctor was able to find the treatment she needed from a public cord blood bank. This umbilical cord blood stem cell transplant helped repair her bone marrow.
- Other special experiences made the day memorable:
- Photographs with Too Tall Jones,
- Maui Jim sunglasses
- Golf contests: Hole-in-one ( prize car donated by Ford), Closest to the Pin, and Longest Drive
- Unique silent and live auction items included many unique items including: a Tragically Hip concert experience, an Augusta Masters experience, sports memorabilia (Bobby Orr, Darryl Sittler, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, and Wayne Gretzky to name a few), and a one-on-one gardening consultation from HGTV’s Denis Flanagan.
- Special thank you to our sponsors:
- Event Sponsor: Apotex; Dinner Sponsor: CIBC; Media Sponsor: Markham Economist; Cart Sponsors: Cells for Life Cord Blood Institute Inc., Markham Fertility Centre , Rosehaven Homes
We are grateful to everyone who helped make this event a success!
You will see our team of volunteers who braved the wet conditions to help support our cause!
Sincere thanks to all!
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR ON MONDAY AUGUST 25, 2014