Strict guidelines must be followed to protect the recipient of the cord blood.
Both Mother and Father must complete a health and risk questionnaire with additional questions once the application has been submitted.
The following considerations will be reviewed:
- Birth mothers must be > 18 years of age
- Birth mothers should register prior to the 34th week of pregnancy
- Must deliver after 34 weeks gestation
- Singleton birth only – no twins/ triplets can be accepted
Birth mothers must:
- NOT be a known carrier of genetic diseases or disorders
- NOT have tested positive for HIV or be a Hepatitis B or C carrier
- NOT have engaged in non-medicinal drug use
- NOT have lived in UK or France between 1980—1996
- NOT have used an ovum/sperm donor, adoption, or surrogacy for this child’s conception or birth
- NOT have had a tattoo, or piercing in last 12 months
- NOT have had treatment for sexually transmissible disease in last 12 months
- Parents do not pay any fees for their participation in the public bank program.
- The program is completely voluntary. Parents may withdraw from the program at any time before the cord blood is delivered to the laboratory at Toronto General Hospital.
- Parents relinquish all ownership and rights to the cord blood.
- Not all donated cord blood samples will be stored. Usually 20 – 25%* of all donated samples are stored; 75 – 80%* are directed toward scientific research projects. (* world-wide statistics)
- Only samples with a high potential for being released for medical treatment are stored. These include samples with high numbers of cells, no bacterial or viral infection, and no labeling errors.
- Parents must understand that the cord blood will not be available to them in the future.
- Parents cannot choose to donate and store privately for one birth. There is only enough cord blood to do one or the other.
Mother must deliver at one of the following hospitals**:
|Brantford General||Rouge Valley – Ajax/Pickering|
|Cambridge Memorial||Rouge Valley – Centenary|
|Credit Valley (Mississauga)||Scarborough General|
|Grand River (Kitchener)||Southlake Regional (Newmarket)|
|Guelph General||St. Joseph’s – Hamilton|
|Headwaters Health Care (Orangeville)||St. Joseph’s – Toronto|
|Humber River – Church & Finch Site||St. Michael’s Toronto|
|Joseph Brant Memorial (Burlington)||Stratford General|
|Lakeridge Health Oshawa||Sunnybrook Hospital|
|Markham Stouffville||Toronto East General|
|McMaster (Hamilton)||Trillium Health Centre (Mississauga)|
|Milton Health Centre||West Lincoln Memorial (Grimsby)|
|Mt. Sinai (Toronto||William Osler – Etobicoke|
|Niagara Health – St. Catherines & Welland Sites||William Osler – Brampton Civic|
|North York General||Woodstock|
|Oakville Trafalgar Memorial||York Central/MacKenzie Health (Richmond Hill)|
** These hospitals are serviced by our cost-effective bedside pickup service –Shipping costs prohibit us from accepting samples from other locations at this time. Our valuable charitable funds will be focused on collecting and processing samples rather than paying courier costs.